[sane-devel] saned trouble

Brian C brianc1969@earthlink.net
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 06:49:02 -0700

Hi all.  I have what I suppose is a configuration problem with saned.  I'll
include the pertinent config files for your perusal and hopefully there is an
easy fix.  I've searched for hours in the archives and found nothing that
fixes this.

I have a system called enterprise that has a mustek:/dev/scanner attached.
If I issue the command "scanimage -T mustek:/dev/scanner" it works fine.
Also, if I issue the command "scanimage -T net:localhost:mustek:/dev/scanner"
it works fine.  Even just "scanimage -T localhost" works.

The problem lies when I try to access it from another workstation called
defiant.  No matter which variation of the above network commands I give
(using enterprise instead of localhost) I get this error: "scanimage: no SANE
devices found."

Do I NEED a 'hosts.equiv' file or can I skip that?  It seems to make no
difference.
No one has asked you to go back and redo January and February. We will take
care of that for you
-- net.conf on defiant ----------------------------------------------------
# This is the net config file.  Each line names a host to attach to.
# If you list "localhost" then your backends can be accessed either
# directly or through the net backend.  Going through the net backend
# may be necessary to access devices that need special privileges.
# localhost

enterprise

-- saned.conf on enterprise ---------------------------------------------
#
# saned.conf
#
# The contents of the saned.conf file is a list of host
# names that are permitted by saned to use local SANE
# devices in a networked configuration.  The hostname
# matching is NO LONGER case-sensitive.
#
#scan-client.somedomain.firm

localhost
defiant
voyager
runabout

#
# NOTE: /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services must also
# be properly configured to start the saned daemon as
# documented in saned(1), services(4) and inetd.conf(4)
#
# for example, /etc/services might contain a line:
# sane  6566/tcp        # network scanner daemon
#
# and /etc/inetd.conf might contain a line:
# sane stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/saned saned

-- /var/log/daemons/info -------------------------------------------
Mar  7 06:26:49 Enterprise saned[3523]: access by saned-user@Defiant accepted
Mar  7 06:26:51 Enterprise saned[3523]: exiting
Mar  7 06:27:16 Enterprise saned[3541]: access by root@localhost.localdomain
accepted
Mar  7 06:27:26 Enterprise saned[3541]: exiting
Mar  7 06:40:13 Enterprise saned[3556]: access by saned-user@Defiant accepted
Mar  7 06:40:15 Enterprise saned[3556]: exiting

-- hosts.allow on enterprise -----------------------------------------
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
#

defiant
voyager
runabout
localhost
enterprise

Also to note:  I have the appropriate line in /etc/services and the
appropriate lines in /etc/xinetd.d/sane (which is included by
/etc/xinetd.conf)

I have also tried fully qualified names instead of the short names.  No
difference.

Any suggestions?  Is this an authentication issue or truely a device not
found issue?

Thanks,
Brian C