[sane-devel] Network protocol packet sizes

Nick Lamb njl98r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:54:51 +0000

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:10:05PM -0800, Dave Close wrote:
> Two, some (admittedly broken)
> frontends may depend on the ability to read a full scan line in one
> function call, and won't always succeed.

We had better find out about this sooner rather than later. There used to
be backends that relied on you wanting a whole scan line at a time, or
always asking for a multiple of 3 bytes or... The correct solution is
to fix the broken code, not try to sweep everything under a rug.

My approach to solving that was scanimage -T

One of my background tasks (for some months/ years now) has been to
create a test backend that does everything the SANE standard says it
should, or could, or might. That includes providing samples one byte at
a time, sending things in an unusual order, and so on. Hopefully once
such a thing exists it will be easy for frontend authors to do thorough
tests without spending hundreds of dollars on test hardware.

Nick.