[sane-devel] Is click-through license needed for xsane?

Simon Krix kinsei@dingoblue.net.au
16 Mar 2002 10:53:11 +1100

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 05:20, Oliver Rauch wrote:

>> I think the dialog should probably not show the whole GPL (because
>> all the sections about modifying and re-distributing code don't
>> apply when you just want to scan a picture)
> That is not allowed. That would be a modification of the GPL what is strictly
> prohibited!

You're allowed to display just a subset. In fact it is recommended near
the ened of this page: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

The suggestion there seems to fairly logical: the imaginary example
program displays this when it starts

Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) year name of author
Gnomovision comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
type `show w'.  This is free software, and you are welcome
to redistribute it under certain conditions; type `show c'
for details.

The example commands 'show w' and 'show c' would only show only relevant
parts of the GPL, not the whole thing.

I'm not agreeing with Nick here (or Oliver) but if there's going to be a
discussion it may as well be well-argued.

Best regards

Simon Krix

--
kinsei@dingoblue.net.au