[sane-devel] Network protocol packet sizes

mh crapsite@gmx.net
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 08:58:15 +0100

Henning Meier-Geinitz, Freitag, 15. März 2002 23:04:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:54:51AM +0000, Nick Lamb wrote:
> > One of my background tasks (for some months/ years now) has been to
> > create a test backend that does everything the SANE standard says it
> > should, or could, or might. That includes providing samples one byte at
> > a time, sending things in an unusual order, and so on. Hopefully once
> > such a thing exists it will be easy for frontend authors to do thorough
> > tests without spending hundreds of dollars on test hardware.
>
> I also wanted to create something like this (see PROJECTS) and finally
> using such a backend as a replacement of the pnm backend. But
> currently no code exists here and I'm not sure when I have time for this
> (TODO list ist long...)

IMHO, it's not sufficient to have a single testbackend, e.g. if you want to
simulate the scan area options with different units (SANE_UNIT_MM,
SANE_UNIT_PIXEL) you'll probably need two testbackends.
It also seems, that some problems are often only triggered by "real" backends.
I'm using various testbackends too (pnm + two of my own), however, I believe
that real testing can only be done by other people (willing to send a bug
report). At least I've always thought, that's the way open source development
works...

Michael