[sane-devel] Epson 1650 Photo problems, Epson-KAWA is no SANE frontend

Thomas Wenrich wet@chello.at
18 Mar 2002 00:00:13 +0100

Karl,

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 22:09, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 08:28:03PM +0100, Thomas Wenrich wrote:
> > After some hours trying the new Epson-KAWA frontend I think this should
> > NOT be called a 'SANE frontend'; it comes with it's own backend called
> > 'epson' which looks incompatible to the epson backend currently in
> > SANE(CVS).
>
> It's based on an earlier version of the "real" backend. It is a
> SANE backend, and the IScan software uses the Sane protocol to
> talk to this backend. So technically it is a Sane frontend.

Maybe it's another "sane distribution", but IMO it's no "frontend". A
"frontend" should work together with the current [or a recent] standard
SANE backends.

> > a) a Bug in the SANE epson.c (Patch enclosed)
>
> The reset() function should never be called when the scanner
> device is not open. At least I am not aware of a situation
> where this would happen. Did you experience this only with
> IScan, or also with standard Sane frontends?

At least my xsane calls reset() with a closed scanner during
initialization when setting option 41 (OPT_SOURCE). Maybe my setup is
special - I use the 1650 mostly for scanning slides.
It also happens with the following scanimage command:

scanimage -d epson:/dev/usb/scanner0 \
    --format PNM \
    --mode Color \
    --depth 8 \
    --brightness -1 \
    --sharpness 2 \
    --gamma-correction "High density printing" \
    --color-correction "CRT monitors" \
    --resolution $_res \
    $_pos \
    --source "Transparency Unit" \
    --film-type "Positive Film" \
    --focus-position "$_focus" \
    >tmp.pnm || exit 1

> > After discovering my install problem (iscan+backend in /usr, SANE in
> > /usr/local) I installed iscan+backend also in /usr/local. Now iscan
> > works, but I can't get xsane to display previews.
>
> I will look into this.

I think you can cancel this point. Just tried it again, now xsane works
even when the iscan backend is installed (?).

Regards,

Thomas

--
Bergbilder: http://www.timeware.at/wet