[sane-devel] a backend test

Tue, 19 Mar 2002 18:24:23 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:07:11PM -0600, Peter Fales wrote:
> For the gphoto2 backend, it's complaining that my vendor string isn't
> recognized.
>
> 1) I can't find anything in the standard that says vendor strings must
>    come from a finite list.

They should come from the vendor list if the vendor is included in
this list (4.2.8 Device Descriptor Type).

Nobody prevents you from using a different vendor if it is not listed
yet. The idea is to avoid the usage of different spellings, e.g. "hp",
"HP" and "Hewlett-Packard".

> 2) The gphoto2 backend supports cameras from many different vendors.  What
>    is the right vendor string to use in this case?  (I'm currently using
>    "Gphoto2")

In principle, it's an interface to the Gphoto2 API so maybe "Noname"
is better? Pint seems to assign the vendor of the real device to
sane.vendor. If gphoto2 can detect the vendor, maybe this is a solution?
But if you like "Gphoto2", just keep it.

v4l also uses "V4L".