[sane-devel] libsane-umax.so.1: undefined symbol: sanei_usb_init

Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:55:23 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 05:19:35AM +0100, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> Ok, works now after a ./configure.
> But that's not a normal situation.
>
> to build the normal way is :
> make depend && make
> and if then Makefile.in is earlier than Makefile,
> compile should stop and complain to run configure.
> that's done in many many projects.

Probably most of these projects use automake. SANE Makefiles aren't
that smart. They e.g. don't detect changes in .h files. Maybe with
SANE2 we can try to add automake support. But I'm not sure if we can
use all the dirty tricks (e.g. in backend/) with automake.

So you will have to accept that not all packages use the same build
tools.