[sane-devel] AT3 Weirdness

John Mills John Mills <john.m.mills@alum.mit.edu>
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:16:20 -0500 (EST)

Michael -

I have had this problem with two generations of Linux, using two low-level
SCSI cards (ZIP 'Zoom' - aha1502? - and the brain-dead Symbios distributed
with HP scanners; both handled the scanners fine, but neither was found by
'autoprobe' when my system starts up: I had to load the 'scsi' module
explicitly or compile it into my kernel. I have two scanners.

I have a simple script to first unload, then reload the SCSI device list.
Look at the /proc/scsi mapping when you bring up your system with all SCSI
devices 'live', then adjust the device addresses to match their discovery
order in your system. You will want to include all SCSI devices which
might be attached. Anyway, here's a starting point:

#!/bin/sh
echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 00 01 00" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 00 02 00" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 00 01 00" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 00 02 00" > /proc/scsi/scsi
find-scanner

> "Michael S. Moulton" wrote: > > I just got an Artec AT3 from a friend
> this weekend... I'm using the ISA SCSI card that came with it.

> > I've got it working in both Windows and Linux, so I know everything
> > works ok, but I am getting some weird behavior.

> > modprobe g_NCR5380 dtc_3181e=1 ncr_addr=0x240
> > seems to only detect the scanner if the scanner is on and ready when
> > I load the module.  Once the module is loaded, if I turn the scanner
> > on it is not detected.

> > Do I need to just load the module whenever I need the scanner and
> > unload it when I'm done, or am I missing something?

 - John Mills