[sane-devel] AT3 Weirdness

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert@interlog.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:54:23 -0500

abel deuring wrote:
> "Michael S. Moulton" wrote:
>
>>I just got an Artec AT3 from a friend this weekend... I'm using the ISA SCSI card that came with it.
>>
>>I've got it working in both Windows and Linux, so I know everything works ok, but I am getting some weird behavior.

>>modprobe g_NCR5380 dtc_3181e=1 ncr_addr=0x240
>>seems to only detect the scanner if the scanner is on and ready when I load the module.  Once the module is loaded, if I turn the scanner on it is not detected.
>>
>>Do I need to just load the module whenever I need the scanner and unload it when I'm done, or am I missing something?
>>

> Michael,
>
> the adapter driver scans the SCSI bus for available devices, when it is
> loaded. If the scanner is powered on later, it will not be "visible".
> The sane-scsi man page has a hint what you can do in this case:
>
>        A common issue with SCSI scanners is what to do  when  you
>        booted  the  system  while the scanner was turned off?  In
>        such a case, the scanner won't be recognized by the kernel
>        and  SANE  won't be able to access it.  Fortunately, Linux
>        provides a simple mechanism to  probe  a  SCSI  device  on
>        demand.   Suppose you have a scanner connected to SCSI bus
>        2 and the scanner has a SCSI id of 5.  When the system  is
>        up and running and the scanner is turned on, you can issue
>        the command:
>
>               echo  "scsi  add-single-device   2   0   5   0"   >
>               /proc/scsi/scsi
>
>        and the kernel will probe and recognize your scanner (this
>        needs to be done as root).  It's also possible to  dynami­
>        cally  remove  a SCSI device by using the ``remove-single-
>        device'' command.  For details, please  refer  to  to  the
>        SCSI-Programming-HOWTO.

Abel,
A note about "SCSI-Programming-HOWTO": it is now archived and
classified as "unsupported" by linuxdoc.org [and this is with
the agreement of its author]. The appropriate reference for
"add-single-device" is the SCSI-2.4-HOWTO . For in depth
information about the linux sg driver see the SCSI-Generic-HOWTO.
However I feel the latter document is overkill in the above
context.

Please send any corrections and suggestions concerning these
documents to me.

Doug Gilbert