[sane-devel] saned only works in -d mode

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm@lineone.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:09:04 +0000

Hi,

   I have found a wierd problem in saned - when the saned is run with saned
-d, I can connect and scan (from windows clients - sanetwain - great
client!) images from the server's devices (epson USB and also pnm device!)
trouble is - when run this way, it exits immediately.  I can attempt to run
it from inetd, but just as someone reported back in May of last year, I
cannot connect at all.  I can (and do) use other services from inetd and
even tried the solution of piping the error messages to /dev/null - all to
no avail.  I have had to run sane with the -d switch as follows :

#!/bin/bash
# script launch_sane
/usr/local/sbin/saned -d > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
/usr/sbin/launch_sane

I probably could have put it in the inittab, but I was scared to do that!

Otherwise, this suite of programs - saned and sanetwain has allowed us to
use our USB scanner from all workstations where we could only run it on
2K/98 machines previously due to USB not being in NT.  As we standardise on
NT, this is wonderful, and I cannot thank you guys enough.  Now if we can
get rid of this kludge to keep saned running I would be a very happy chappy.

Oh... Kernel 2.4.5 sane-backends-1.0.7 Slackware 8

FYI : way back then...

http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/2001-05/0127.html

Martyn Ranyard
Free Software Advocate