[sane-devel] Problem with network scanning Linux/win98

Edvard Rognlid edvard@rognlid.com
Sun, 05 May 2002 16:11:25 +0200

At 14:27 05.05.02 +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 12:50:38PM +0200, Edvard Rognlid wrote:
..
..
..

>Which version of SANE do you use?

1.0.5-4

>"ping barcelona" and "ping radich" works on the linux host?

Yes, no problem there

> > In one helpfile I read that trying to us "telnet localhost 6566" could
> tell
> > me if things worked. Trying this both form my win98 and linux computer I
> > get the same resolt:
> > [root@barcelona etc]# telnet barcelona 6566
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to barcelona.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> >
> > And then it just hangs - nothing happens.
>
>That's ok. Press some keys, the connection should be closed after some
>time. You should also find a note about that in syslog:
>
>May  5 14:22:15 hmg1 saned[2170]: init: bad status=12 or procnum=1734763623
>May  5 14:22:15 hmg1 saned[2170]: quit: exiting

Yes, I got this lines, but I also got a line saying that is was an error
i  /etc/hosts.allow. I have noe fixed that, and the error messages does not
longer appear in /var/log/messages. Byt I stil dont get the scanner to work.

> > Trying scanimage -L from my linux box give this result:
> > [root@barcelona etc]# scanimage -L
> > device `microtek:/dev/sge' is a Microtek ScanMaker E3 flatbed scanner
> > device `microtek:/dev/sg4' is a Microtek ScanMaker E3 flatbed scanner
>
>Edit /etc/sane.d/net.conf and add "localhost". Try "scanimage -L"
>again. There should be additional entries like
>
>device `net:localhost:microtek:/dev/sge' is a Microtek ScanMaker E3
>flatbed scanner
>
>Now try "barcelona" instead of "localhost" in net.conf. Does this also
>work?

I have tryed both localhost and barcelona at the same time and seperatly in
net.conf. Always with the same result when trying [root@barcelona etc]#
scanimage -L
device `microtek:/dev/sge' is a Microtek ScanMaker E3 flatbed scanner
device `microtek:/dev/sg4' is a Microtek ScanMaker E3 flatbed scanner

>Are there any entries in syslog?

I cant seam to find any log that has the name syslog, but i /var/log I find
messages. This file apears to be a syslog file.
When trying scanimage -L I get the line "barcelona modprobe: modprobe:
Can't locate module char-major-81" in that log.

>You can start saned in debugg mode. Disable it in xinetd.conf and
>start it manually (saned -d5). It should print more verbose messages
>now. In this mode you must restart it for every connection.

Then it works!

Edvard