[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner finds multiple scanners

Douglas Gilbert dgilbert@interlog.com
Mon, 06 May 2002 09:13:06 -0400

Johan Wehtje wrote:
>  have read the docs as well as the SCSI 2.4 how to but am still none the
> wiser as to why I get the following output from sane-find-scanner
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/scanner
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg1
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg2
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg3
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg4
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg5
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg6
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg7
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sg8
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgb
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgc
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgd
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sge
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgf
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgg
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgh
> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device /dev/sgi
> I only have one scanner , microtek e3 connected to a adpaptec 1524 scsi card
> (shipped with scanner). The aha152x scsi driver is loaded as a module. The
> kernel is 2.4.18. The correct irq and io are passed as params to the module.
> The system is a PII 400 MHZ , Asus MBrd , 128 mb RAM, Pheonix BIOS. I have an
> older Zip 100 disk (parralell) that is loaded as a module and sits at sda4. I
> have my own script for loading the zip as I need to modprobe lp before I do,
> then modprobe ppa.
> I get the same result even if I don't load the zip and lp modules but only
> prob the aha152x module manually.
> I am probably missing something really simple here but I can't see what it is
> so would appreciate some help as i have been fiddling with thsi for the past
> few weeks trying to get it to work.
> BTW this is a dual boot system (win 98 SE) and the scanner works just fine in
> Windows , but i would really like to skip booting into windows every time i
> want to use the scanner.
> anf FYI the out of "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" is below:
> ==================================
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: D.17
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>   Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
>   Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 01
>   Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
> [...]

Johan,
In your kernel config (assuming you have built that kernel)
turn off CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN . Some SCSI scanners don't
react properly to being probed for logical unit numbers (luns).
They should only respond to lun==0 but they respond to all
eight. That should leave you with:
   /dev/scanner
   /dev/sg1
   /dev/sgb