[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner finds multiple scanners

Carsten Neumann deltor@snafu.de
Mon, 6 May 2002 16:45:45 +0200

On Mon, 06 May 2002, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Johan,
> In your kernel config (assuming you have built that kernel)
> turn off CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN . Some SCSI scanners don't
> react properly to being probed for logical unit numbers (luns).
> They should only respond to lun==0 but they respond to all
> eight. That should leave you with:
>    /dev/scanner
>    /dev/sg1
>    /dev/sgb
>
> Doug Gilbert

Usually /dev/sga .. /dev/sgd are symlinks to /dev/sg0 .. /dev/sg3, respectively.
Also most harddisks will respond at every LUN.

Once again, I can't see any reason why probing all LUNs will prevent the scanner from working!

If you don't _like_ to find devices on every LUN and you don't have a SCSI device (e.g.: jukebox)
that will require probing every LUN you can of course unset the CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN option.

Otherwise you can increase the number of /dev/sd*, /dev/sg*, /dev/scd*, /dev/sr* and probably
other SCSI device nodes if you need more. See: mknod(1).

Kind regards

	Carsten