[sane-devel] sane-find-scanner finds multiple scanners

Johan Wehtje joweht@tpgi.com.au
Tue, 7 May 2002 02:09:53 +1000

Sorry, did forget to say what the problem is with this setup.
Currently whenever I try to scan , whether from the comand line or from
xscanimage or using the KDE3 scan utility I hear the scanner move for a
couple of seconds then I get a total system freeze , no coredump or any other
messages , just a total kernel freeze.
Re Ray Curtis's sugestion that I move the LUN to 4 or 5 , How do I do that? I
have tried using the wheel dial on the scanner and turning it to 4 or 5 but I
get the same result, Do I use a Symlink in the dev directory or do I have to
pass paramateers to the modprobe of aha52x?
Any help is much appreciated as at the moment sane is driving me .... well you
know the rest.
Cheers
Johan Wehtje

    cn> Hi, Johan,
    cn> you've missed to tell what your problems actually are!
    cn> I don't see any problem why you can't use your scanner.
    cn> But you haven't told that you cannot use it.
    cn> What are the errors you get, if there are any?

    cn>         Carsten

I think from looking at the listing below it is pretty obvious that
the scsi card is detecting muliple scanners, at ID 1 Lun 00-07.
Not being familiar with this scsi card I can't really help much
except the suggest moving the ID from 1 to maybe 4 or 5. The lower
scsi ID's are usually used for hard drives.

    cn> On Mon, 06 May 2002, Johan Wehtje wrote:
    >> have read the docs as well as the SCSI 2.4 how to but am still none the
    >> wiser as to why I get the following output from sane-find-scanner
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/scanner
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg1
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg2
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg3
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg4
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg5
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg6
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg7
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sg8
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sgb
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sgc
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sgd
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sge
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sgf
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sgg
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sgh
    >> sane-find-scanner: found SCSI scanner " Scanner 1.40" at device
/dev/sgi
    >> I only have one scanner , microtek e3 connected to a adpaptec 1524 scsi
card
    >> (shipped with scanner). The aha152x scsi driver is loaded as a module.
The
    >> kernel is 2.4.18. The correct irq and io are passed as params to the
module.
    >> The system is a PII 400 MHZ , Asus MBrd , 128 mb RAM, Pheonix BIOS. I
have an
    >> older Zip 100 disk (parralell) that is loaded as a module and sits at
sda4. I
    >> have my own script for loading the zip as I need to modprobe lp before
I do,
    >> then modprobe ppa.
    >> I get the same result even if I don't load the zip and lp modules but
only
    >> prob the aha152x module manually.
    >> I am probably missing something really simple here but I can't see what
it is
    >> so would appreciate some help as i have been fiddling with thsi for the
past
    >> few weeks trying to get it to work.
    >> BTW this is a dual boot system (win 98 SE) and the scanner works just
fine in
    >> Windows , but i would really like to skip booting into windows every
time i
    >> want to use the scanner.
    >> anf FYI the out of "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" is below:
    >> ==================================
    >> Attached devices:
    >> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    >> Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: D.17
    >> Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 01
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 02
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 03
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 04
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 05
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 06
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
    >> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 07
    >> Vendor:          Model: Scanner          Rev: 1.40
    >> Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04

Ray Curtis
mailto:ray@ccux.com                           http://www.ccux.com