[sane-devel] coolscan color problem

Hubert Figuiere hfiguiere@teaser.fr
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:56:27 +0200

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

Negative looks orange. http://www.photo.net/learn/orange-negative-mask

> If I ever get to scan a colour negative, I might look into this
> problem myself.

Do you want some sample film ? :-)

> > Noise. I thought that auto-exposure would give me the right settings.
>=20
> That's what I would think as well, but it might still be worth playing
> around a bit if it's still a problem.

If I set exposure to the smallest value, I get a noisy dark pictures.
If I set exposure to the biggest value, I still get a lot of noise.

> > > What gamma settings are you using?
> >=20
> > Automatic.
>=20
> Ah, try to set it by hand, it's really simple in xsane using the
> black/white/grey-point tools.

I don't see any difference.

> > I can't because I'm on Linux PPC (VueScan only works on Intel Linux)
> > and I can't plug the scanner to my PowerBook that runs MacOS X before
> > I get this USB<->SCSI adapter....
>=20
> I'm not sure that is going to work. I haven't tried it myself, and I
> can't think of a reason why it shouldn't, but I remember reading on a
> Nikon website that their scanners don't work with USB-SCSI
> adapters. But, of course, I would appreciate any feedback on this.

The mail order I bought the scanner from sells it with an Adapatec USB
Exchange adapter. I still haven't it because they do have some supply
problem, but they sell it as a working solution....

> For the LS-30, I don't think coolscan has anything that coolscan2
> doesn't offer, apart from a greyscale option, which might be added
> later.

That would be appreciated for my B&W negs.

Thanks for the tips.

Hub
--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd

--ADZbWkCsHQ7r3kzd--