[sane-devel] Mustek 1200UB: Strange Scanner problems...

Thu, 9 May 2002 11:47:16 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 02:16:11PM +1200, mdew wrote:
> Anyone encountered something like this? (during a "preview") Ive had
> problems scanning...and some rather loud noises coming from the
> device,..yet in windows no sounds come from the scanner during a scan,
> so it cant be a hardware fault.

I had a private discussion with the author of this mail and we
couldn't find out what really happens. After sometime I haven't got an
answer to my last email so I sum up what I know:

The "loud noise" comes from bumping at the begin of the scan area.
There is a photo sensor that should stop the scanner bar from moving
once it has arrived at it's home position but for some reason that
check doesn't seem to work. That's also what the debug log says:

> [mustek_usb] usb_low_get_home_sensor: start
> [mustek_usb] usb_low_read_reg: Reg: 0x1f, Value: 0x62
> [mustek_usb] usb_low_get_home_sensor: exit
> [mustek_usb] usb_low_get_home_sensor: start
> [mustek_usb] usb_low_read_reg: Reg: 0x1f, Value: 0x62
> [mustek_usb] usb_low_get_home_sensor: exit

And so on: The scanner tells the backend that it's not yet at home
but in reality, it is.

As MS Windows doesn't semm to cause the scanner to bump at home, it
doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. However, the SANE code is very
similar to the Windows driver code, so I don't think it's
SANE-related, either.

I don't really think it's related but it may worth it to try without
the NVdriver (binary only, taints the kernel):

> [11:26am 26-Apr-02]$ lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> agpgart                15520   3  (autoclean)
> NVdriver              945504  10  (autoclean)

Also "usb-uhci" could be tried instead of "uhci". But that's just
guessing.

> uhci                   23752   0  (unused)

I haven't got any other report about this phenomena and it doesn't
happen with my scanners, so I have no more ideas.