[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1650 Photo & Suse 7.2

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Tue, 14 May 2002 11:25:05 -0000

Alexandre Suter <sml@crox.net> said:
[ ... ]

> or else download the source code and install it after having removed all
> rpms...

This may be not as easy as you think. Depending on which RPMs are installed
on the SuSE 7.2 system, the compilation of both Sane and Xane may fail.
The problem is that most software packages come in two RPM packages: One
for the end user, and one for the developer. You will probably find stuff
like glib, gtk or gimp installed on pretty much any system, but the
related devel packages are usually not installed. This means that somebody
without a long history of kernel-wrestling may run into problems that
are very hard to debug.

In this case, I would just try to force the installation of the Sane package
by disabling the dependency check:

rpm -i --nodeps sane-.....rpm

This will very likely give you a working system. You may not be able to
use XSane from within gimp, but the standalone version should work.

One thing you should consider is to upgrade to a more recent version of
SuSE. I know that 8.0 has everything to use your scanner. I don't remember
what kernel was distributed with 7.2, or if the 1650 was fully supported
in Sane 1.0.6.

Karl Heinz