[sane-devel] Problems with xsane 0.82 and sane 1.0.7

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Wed, 15 May 2002 23:21:47 +0200

Hi,

Edvard Rognlid wrote:
> A little while a go I had a problem accessing my scanner (on my linux-box)
> from my Win98 computer. I had to start the saned deamon in debug mode, it
> did not work in xinetd mode. I was recomended to upgrade form sane 1.0.5 to
> 1.0.7 to se if that fixed my problem
>
> My problem i still the same, and now I also have anothe. When trying too
> install xsane-0.82-3.1.i386.rpm I get this messages (originaly in
> norwegian, I have tryed to guess what is should say in english):
> error: dependence:
>          sane is demaded of xsane-0.82-3.1
>          libsane.so.1   is demanded off xsane-0.82-3.1
>
> I installed the sane-backend and frontend from tar.gz files. I have Redhat 7.2

This is because the RPM system checks dependencies between installed
components. Because you installed sane-backends and sane-backends from
sources instead of from RPM, the sane packages are not in the RPM
database and RPM misses a dependency.

You may be able to resolve this by running rpm from the shell
and add either the '--force' or '--nodeps' options, something like
rpm -ivh xsane-0.82-3.1.i386.rpm --force
(or rpm -ivh xsane-0.82-3.1.i386.rpm --nodeps, not quite sure)

BTW, the latest version of xsane is 0.86

Bertrik