[sane-devel] Umax Astra 1200S seen but not responding (long)

Michael J Flaherty mikeflaherty@mn.rr.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 10:36:41 -0500

Hello all,

As the subject says, I'm having trouble with my SCSI UMAX 1200S.  It appears
to me to be a SCSI related problem.  I don't know whether it is a result of
the kernel or sane.

I'm using sane 1.0x (not sure which, but the YDL distro is only a month old
so it's pretty current) and Xsane 0.84.

(stock 2.4.18 kernel, Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 on a Power Mac 7300 w/G4 card and
ATA  100 card, machine has 2 motherboard SCSI buses, boots from an ATA 100
drive attached to the card, the scanner is the only device on its bus,
connected to the external mobo 25 pin SCSI port with a 1 meter SCSI cable. )

The scanner works perfectly in Mac OS 9.1, without a terminator attached, but
not when it is attached.  Doesn't work in Linux whether the terminator is
attached to the scanner or not.

Sane and Xsane both see the scanner.  However it will not scan, acquire a
preview, or respond in any noticeable way.  Once I click the "aquire preview
button, Xsane effectively freezes and must be killed manually with "killall
Xsane"

I have several questions that I would very much appereciate an answer to:

Is it normal for sane-find-scanner to find my scanner "twice" (see below) ?

Once sane freezes, can I reset the SCSI bus without rebooting ?

What specific options should I try in umax.conf (or is it a SCSI problem
whose solution lies elsewhere) ?

I've tried changing the SCSI max queue size and the SCSI buffer max/min sizes
without success.  I'll paste my umax.conf below in case someone wants to
suggest changes.  Thanks.

Here's what I have before the problem arises:

[root@_no_way mike]# sane-find-scanner

# Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
# to a SCSI bus.  It will even find scanners that are not supported
# at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that is connected to a
# parallel, USB or other non-SCSI port.

sane-find-scanner: found scanner "UMAX Astra 1200S V3.1" at device /dev/sg1
sane-find-scanner: found scanner "UMAX Astra 1200S V3.1" at device /dev/sgb

[root@_no_way mike]# scanimage --list-devices

device `umax:/dev/sg1' is a UMAX     Astra 1200S      flatbed scanner

[root@_no_way mike]# cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 1.10 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
SchillingLinux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) *
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) 'MATSHITA' 'CD-ROM CR-8012  ' '1.0g' Removable CD-ROM
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) *
        2,1,0   201) *
        2,2,0   202) 'UMAX    ' 'Astra 1200S     ' 'V3.1' Scanner
        2,3,0   203) *
        2,4,0   204) *
        2,5,0   205) *
        2,6,0   206) *
        2,7,0   207) *
[root@_no_way mike]#

Here's what I have after attempting to scan, either at the command line with
scanimage or through Xsane :

[root@_no_way mike]# cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 1.10 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg
SchillingLinux sg driver version: 3.1.22
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) *
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) 'MATSHITA' 'CD-ROM CR-8012  ' '1.0g' Removable CD-ROM
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *
scsibus2:
        2,0,0   200) *
        2,1,0   201) *
cdrecord: No such device or address. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
        2,2,0   202)

[root@_no_way mike]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MATSHITA Model: CD-ROM CR-8012   Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: UMAX     Model: Astra 1200S      Rev: V3.1
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02

[root@_no_way mike]# scanimage --list-devices

[root@_no_way mike]#

This is pasted in from my Konsole.  Note that the scanner and the rest of the
bus after it has become invisible to sane and cdrecord.  It remains so until
the machine is rebooted.

TIA for the help,

MJF     (umax.conf below)

#
# Options for the umax backend
option scsi-maxqueue 2
option scsi-buffer-size-min 65536
option scsi-buffer-size-max 262144
#option scan-lines 100
#option preview-lines 20
#option handle-bad-sense-error 0
#option execute-request-sense 0
#option force-preview-bit-rgb 0
#option lamp-control-available 0
#
# linux device identification:
#scsi vendor model type bus channel id lun
scsi UMAX * Scanner
scsi LinoHell JADE
scsi LinoHell Office
scsi LinoHell Office2