[sane-devel] xsane and large previews

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Mon, 20 May 2002 19:54:28 +0200

> But that's not the only problem. Memory consumption is very big. I can
> scan with the test backend with 1000 dpi without problems. But when I
> set the minimum resolution to 1000 dpi in test.conf, xsane needs 538 MB
> of memory when doing the preview. The image itsself is "only" 35 MB in
> size.

Hm. I don`t think that this is correct:
With 1000 dpi in the test backend I get an image with 7874*7874 pixels.
With 16 bits/pixel this is a size of 354MB. Xsane does store the
original image (with full depth) and the enhanced image with 8 bits/sample
what makes additional 177MB in this case. The sum is 531 MB.

May be a down sampling algorithm would be a good idea, but I hear the
first time of a backend that produces so large preview images.
If this is a general problem (not only one of one backend) then I
will think about a down sampling algorithm in xsane.

Bye
Oliver

--
Homepage:	http://www.rauch-domain.de