[sane-devel] Xsane default resolution

Dave Close dclose@anim.dreamworks.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:37:09 -0700

I have a scanner capable of 400-dpi resolution natively but which can
also return 200-dpi results by internally averaging four pixels. When
describing it in my backend, I specify that OPT_RESOLUTION is a word
list with two values, 200 and 400. Then I set the initial value to 400
as that is the preferred result.

Scanimage has no problem with this, and reports as follows.

    --resolution 200|400dpi [400]

Xsane insists on overriding my default and changing the resolution to
200 dpi. Looking at the code, it appears that xsane always chooses the
first item in the list as the best value, ignoring the initial value
set by the backend. This is true even if no .drc file exists.

Why? Do I have to list the resolutions in reverse order to make it work
properly with xsane? If so, what's the point of an initial default?
--
Dave Close                    Dreamworks SKG, Animation Technology
+1 818 695 6962               Glendale California 91201-3007