[sane-devel] xsane-win32 error handling

Andrei B. andrixnet@yahoo.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 23:51:40 -0700 (PDT)

 Thank you, Oliver, I followed your advice and installed sane-1.0.8,
configured and started saned, and tried again.

- first result was the same. (stack dump)
- after digging a little more, I found in the logs that tcpd reported
"file /usr/sbin/saned not found".
(my inetd.conf line contained /usr/sbin/tcpd saned)
I changed it so it contained the full path name to saned, and it
worked.

I'd suggest to add some more error handling to the network
communication layer in xsane, so that connection loss, inability to
find a valid saned at the other end does not crash xsane

Also, I'd suggest to the maintainer of saned.man the following:
I used the example shown for inetd.conf using tcpd directly, but it did
not work because tcpd expected to find saned in /usr/sbin, while it was
installed in /usr/local/sbin.
I'd suggest to change the example for this case to reflect this by
using the full pathname for saned.

Great frontend, Oliver!

=====
ing. Andrei Boros