[sane-devel] Client only installation of sane

Thu, 30 May 2002 14:56:38 +0200

HI,

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 11:54:32PM -0700, Andrei B. wrote:
> How can one install a client only installation of sane?

Currently you can't do that easily. There is a TODO list entry for
such an option, however, nobody has implemented it yet.

> No backends needed, as all scanning would happen over the network.
> saned is not needed

You will need at least the net backend and maybe the dll backend for
this to work. The frontends don't know anything about the network.

> Possibly libraries and headers of sane would be needed to compile other
> frontends (not sure, so far I always compiled frontends having
> sane-backends already installed).

I guess such an option (./configure --enable-net-client-only?) should
just disable saned and only enable net and dll.

You can do that manually by editing backend/Makefile.in and removing
everything but net from PRELOADABLE_BACKENDS, and run ./configure,
make, make install.