[sane-devel] Xsane notes

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Wed, 06 Nov 2002 22:47:18 +0100

Juhana Sadeharju schrieb:

> I have xsane 0.84, and here goes:    :-)
>
> Feature suggestion: Saving of settings with a given project name;
> all settings are saved, including the preview settings and the preview
> image. That is, the preview image and the associated scanarea must be
> saved. (Project save/load perhaps?)

It does not make sense to save the preview image because when you
remove the image from the scan surface you can not be sure to
put it back to the same position.

When you do preferences->save device preferences then all
device dependant values are saved in the file. Save the filename
with the name of your project.

> Feature suggestion:
> Are the gamma/look-up tables (of some scanners) as wide as the
> internal precision? If a scanner has greater internal precision
> but only 8-bit output precision, then I guess the look-up tables
> could be used for dynamic compression for the 8-bit transfer.
> The full precision would then be recovered in driver or in
> application.
You can not recover 12 bits from the transfered 8 bit data.
But you can produce data that uses the full range of the 8 bits.

> One would have to scan a preview, compute the
> look-up tables, and do the final scan with the computed look-up
> tables. If also enchangements are done, they are also incorporated
>  to the look-up tables.

That is what xsane does.

> Bug: Gamma etc. settings were autoadjusted after acquiring the preview
> even I had unchecked "Autoenchange gamma" and "Autocorrect colors"
> Setup-options.

I can not reproduce this.

> Bug: In "Save" scanning mode, with Type "PNM", with filename "123.pnm",
> the saved file is named as "123.pnm.pnm" instead of the correct "123.pnm".

I can not reproduce this.

> I would also point out that gqview, a good image viewer, cannot
> load the pnm files produced by xsane. The following image is show
> incorrectly as of the size 14x96.
>  P5
>  # XSane settings:
>  #  resolution_x =  200.0
>  #  resolution_y =  200.0
>  #  gamma      = 1.00
>  #  brightness =  0.0
>  #  contrast   =  0.0
>  # XSANE data follows
>  01696 02222
>  255

I Don`t know gqview. The header looks ok.

I suggest you update to xsane-0.89, there were several improvements
and bugfixes.

Bye
Oliver
--