[sane-devel] Canon-SCSI backend

Deiters ukd@xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:37:19 MET

Dear Diego,

thank you for the tip about the array length; I will check this.

The FS2710 does not seem to be influenced by downloaded gamma tables.
The original Canon (Windows) software feeds it 4 tables of 8192 byte
length (2^12 entries of 2 byte length), but does not change them
when you manually select another brightness, contrast, etc. . My guess
is that Canon runs the scanner in 12-bit mode all the time, does
the gamma correction in the computer, and then rounds the result to
8 bits.

Our Canon backend does just that, and the results look the same as
those obtained with their software.

Incidentally, the Canon backend contains subroutines for the
adjustment of contrast, brightness, shadow point, etc., that others
might find useful.

Best regards,

Ulrich Deiters