[sane-devel] NEWBIE - (probably) very silly question SORRY !

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:31:57 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 11:13:13AM +0100, riccardo ferraro wrote:
> I have SUSE 8.0 with SANE 1.0.7-59 and an Epson Perfection 1660 USB
> scanner.
> I've downloaded the last version of SANE from mostang/sane (both backend end
> frontend). I ran ./configure, make and make install on both without  any
> error messages. ehmmmmmmm...... what have I got to do next ?
> I tried to use as usual YAST2 (SUSE's Setup tool), but I got an error message
> complaining that SANE was not found. Probably SUSE wants SANE's files
> in a different position with respect to the place where the installation put
> them ?!?

I think Yast doesn't find SANE because you don't have SANE RPMs
installed. The paths shouldn't matter in this case.

> BTW, I launched sane-find-scanner which did not find any scanner.
> With the default SUSE 8,0  configuration with SANE 1.0.7-59
> sane-find-scanner finds my scanner as it should be.

If sane-find-scanner doesn't find scanners it's usually either a
kernel or permission issue. You should make sure that the kernel
scanner driver module is loaded and detects your scanner. Have a look
at /proc/bus/usb/devices, ther should be a line with
"driver=usbscanner". If it's "driver=(none)", the scanner driver
hasn't found the scanner. See man sane-usb for details, also for
permission problems.