[sane-devel] Compilation error on Compaq Tru64

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:13:32 +0000

> > How the f... did you connect to them? I can't get a route to any of
> > the machines, neither from Britain nor from Germany. I've told them
> > 100000 times, they don't respond.
>
> The have a rather restrictive firewall setup. Looks like only telnet
> and ftp goes through, not even ssh or ping. I'm using Telekom/T-online
> DSL. No problems with most testdrives, but some seem to be down.

OK, thanks. Telnet seems to work now (it didn't yesterday). It's kind
of stupid that they don't allow ssh -- ssh used to work.

> Traceroute goes that way:
> [...]
> 15  us-zma-r04.zma.compaq.com (192.208.49.14)  153.810 ms  154.571 ms  156.502 ms
> 16  * * *

A week ago, in fact even before they moved the machines, there was a
recursive route between us-zma-r04 and us-zma-r01.

After all that, why should I trust in HP's competence in network
maintenance and security? :-(

And yes, it's Tru64 that has buffer overflows in xauth and lpd, and
that supplies a SUID root dtterm that segfaults when run in fvwm.

> Yes, I remember. I think I found the problem: config.h defines
> u_int8_t and others and so the lines in sys/bitypes.h look like this
> after macro expansion:
>
> typedef unsigned char     unsigned char, something;

Shouldn't config.h be included after all system headers? Is there any
reason for not doing that? Then we can either make the SANE typedefs
conditional or simply #undef the types we redefine.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras@users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/