[sane-devel] Compilation error on Compaq Tru64

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:28:43 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:13:32PM +0000, Major A wrote:
> After all that, why should I trust in HP's competence in network
> maintenance and security? :-(

Well, there are quite a few problems on these systems. NFS hangs
sometimes, some machines are frozen. On the other hand, it's a good
target for hackers, I guess :-)

> And yes, it's Tru64 that has buffer overflows in xauth and lpd, and
> that supplies a SUID root dtterm that segfaults when run in fvwm.

Well, I also don't like that I have to do all kind of tricks to get
sane working (compiling my own make, LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc.)

On the other hand, they really have nice computers:

AlphaServer ES45, 4@1GHz, Tru64

time make -j4:
real 0m48.473s
user 0m39.115s
sys  0m31.299s

Slightly faster than yours :-) Well, I want to have one of those :-)
Quite fast if you consiere, that it's used by quite a lot of users.

> > Yes, I remember. I think I found the problem: config.h defines
> > u_int8_t and others and so the lines in sys/bitypes.h look like this
> > after macro expansion:
> >
> > typedef unsigned char     unsigned char, something;
>
> Shouldn't config.h be included after all system headers? Is there any
> reason for not doing that?

I think that breaks other systems.

> Then we can either make the SANE typedefs conditional or simply
> #undef the types we redefine.

Fixed in CVS. There was just an #include missing that needs to be set
when these u_int types are only in sys/bitypes.h.

I had to increase the minimum autoconf version to 2.50 to get it
working cleanly.