[sane-devel] scanimage patches (vs adfscan)

Jonathan Stark sane-devel@starks.org
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:27:55 -0800

Greetings,

I see that there are two SANE programs that do nearly the same thing;
scanimage and adfscan.  I understand that adfscan was meant
for use with document feeders, but I've found scanimage to be
better suited because of the versatility it provides with
the --batch* features.  As such, I've found myself adding the
adfscan features that are missing in scanimage to scanimage
for my own personal use.

I've created some patches for scanimage that add the --scan-script
feature from adfscan, a new batch-interactive feature that allows you
to handle errors and continue scanning (like if there is a paper jam,
or your adf doesn't hold as many pages as you want included in
a batch job), as well as having a feature to reverse the increment
for doing double sided jobs (front sides first, then back sides).

Is there someone I can send these patches to who can look them over,
and if appropriate, include them in the cvs tree?

It would seem that after these patches, there are only about 2 features
keeping scanimage from being fully compatible with adfscan.  Is there
a reason to have two seperate programs that do nearly the same thing
in the SANE sources?  (Just curious...)

Thanks,
Jonathan

PS: you can't imagine how pleased I was to find that SANE supports
my new hpg85.  Thanks!