[sane-devel] please help

Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:17:37 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 08:13:58PM -0500, Ryan wrote:
> I had xsane/sane working.  I think the last time I used it was before I
> updated to RH8 from 7.3.

Which version of SANE are you using now (server + client)?

> I still works on my PC, but I can't get it to work on my second one using
> sane's network capability.

So on your first PC, the scanner is listed by scanimage -L, even as
normal user? So the permissions are set-up correctly.

> But this was all working last time I tried it.
> At first when I fired up xsane on the second PC all I got was something like
> 'no devices found'.  After I set /usr/sbin/saned to SUID root

Don't do that. saned wasn't written to support that. It's too risky.
Instead, make sure that the user saned has access to your USB device
(probably /dev/usb/scanner0).

First, make sure that the local net works: On PC 1, add localhost to
net.conf. scanimage -L should list your scanner twice now, once
directly and once over the net (e.g.
net:localhost:epson:/dev/usb/scanner0). If this doesn't work, check
your xinetd settings again.

> I was able to
> get past that.   But now every time I hit preview or scan on the second PC I
> get this error: "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument".
>
> If I run scanimage I get: "scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument".

Any messages in syslog of PC 1? Maybe you can see more details when
running with debugging enabled:

SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage -d ... >out.pnm

For debugging purposes, you can also use saned stand-alone (without
xinetd). See man saned.

> I've got the second PC's IP address in my /etc/sane.d/saned.conf file.  I have
> the hostname for my machine in the second machine's net.conf file.  I have my
> xinet setup also.  My scanner is an Epson Perfection 610, connected to my USB
> port.
>
> Any ideas?

Maybe a bad interaction of the epson and net backends. But I haven't
seen such errors for quite a long time.

> I've searched for these error messages but haven't been able to come up with
> anything.

"Invalid argument" is a rather general error message. It usually means
that setting up something didn't work.