[sane-devel] please help

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:31:02 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 08:26:24PM -0500, Ryan wrote:
> I'm running xsane .89.  And this is my output from 'rpm -qa |grep sane'
> sane-backends-1.0.8-5
> sane-frontends-1.0.8-4
> sane-backends-devel-1.0.8-5
> xsane-0.89-1

Should be ok.

> > > But this was all working last time I tried it.
> > > At first when I fired up xsane on the second PC all I got was something
> > > like 'no devices found'.  After I set /usr/sbin/saned to SUID root
> >
> > Don't do that. saned wasn't written to support that. It's too risky.
> > Instead, make sure that the user saned has access to your USB device
> > (probably /dev/usb/scanner0).
>
> I don't have a user named saned.

If you use the example from man saned, it uses user saned. So it can't
work if you don't have user/group saned.

> So I should create one, then make that user
> own the saned executeable, then make sure xinetd is going to run saned as
> that user?

That's the usual procedure. I'm a bit surpeised that this wasn't
already done by your distribution. When you installed sane, wasn't
there any entry in xinetd.conf concerning saned?

Anyway, either create the saned user and group. Or, for testing, use
user root in saned. But that's risky.

> > First, make sure that the local net works: On PC 1, add localhost to
> > net.conf. scanimage -L should list your scanner twice now, once
> > directly and once over the net (e.g.
> > net:localhost:epson:/dev/usb/scanner0). If this doesn't work, check
> > your xinetd settings again.
>
> This works.  I get:
> device `epson:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a Epson Perfection610 flatbed scanner
> device `net:localhost:epson:/dev/usb/scanner0' is a Epson Perfection610 flatbed scanner

> > For debugging purposes, you can also use saned stand-alone (without
> > xinetd). See man saned.
>
> If you mean 'saned -d', I get this when I run that:
> [saned] main: starting debug mode (level 2)
> [saned] main: bind failed: Address already in use

Well, you need to disable saned in xinetd while you do the tests with
saned -d.

> And when I run 'saned' it just sits there waiting for me to do something
> somehow until I hit Ctrl+C.

Yes, it's in inetd mode if you start it this way. It waits for
commands on stdin.

So to find out what's going on, disable saned in xinetd. start it like
this on the server:

SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 saned -d255 2>debug.log

Debug information should be in debug.log now.

Try scanning from the client:

SANE_DEBUG_NET=255 scanimage -d net:your_hostname:epson:/dev/usb/scanner0 >image.pnm 2>client.log

Please show us both debug.log and client.log.