[sane-devel] Current PROJECTS file

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:03:32 +0100

Hi,

This is the list of external PROJECTS for SANE, mostly backends.
Please contact me, if one of the backends is planned to be included
into the SANE distribution, or any other changes. Some of the projects
seem to aim at scanners already supported by other backends. Are they
still needed?

If any of these projects is a working backend but there is no .desc
file in SANE yet, please send one to me. So the backend will be listed
on the SANE webpage.

My comments are marked by "-->".

PROJECTS (2002-10-24)

Here is a list of projects that various people have expressed interest
in.  Before starting working on one of these projects, it may be a
good idea to get in touch with the relevant people. Please also read
the files AUTHORS and README for projects that are included into the
SANE-package. For frontends, look at the sane-frontends package.

Status    description
--------- ----------------------------------------------------------------
wanted    Somebody would like to have this feature but can't do it himself.
planned   Only plans but no code yet.
wip       Work in progress. There is (more or less) working code. For details,
          look at the web page or contact the author.

Backends:
---------

Acer ScanWit 2720S film scanner (wip)
Max Ushakov <ushakov@mccme.ru>
ftp://mccme.ru/users/ushakov/scanwit
--> seems to be a working backend. Can we have a .desc file or even
    include it into SANE?

Canon 1220U USB scanner (wip)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/canonscanner/
--> no backend, but stand-alone. Also supports 1210U but only on *BSD
    if I understand correctly?

Canon N650U USB scanner support (command line program) (wip)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/millwardjp
--> I guess we can remove the link as the  plustek backend supports
    this scanner?

Canon N670U USB scanner support [alpha/developers only] (wip)
http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/ (look for merlin* files)
Gunther Mayer <Gunther.Mayer@t-online.de>
--> same here?

E3 and E4 USB chipset support (e.g. Genius Vivid Pro USB, Colorado USB 19200,
Visioneer OneTouch 7600, IBM IdeaScan 2000 USB) (wip)
http://viceo.orcon.net.nz
--> working viceo.desc still missing :-)

Handheld scanner support: e.g. for Mustek CG-6000 (wip)
ftp://www.cs.ubishops.ca/pub/lhii/
--> Link is dead. Remove it?

Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2200c (wip)
http://scanjet2200c.sourceforge.net/
--> Supported by the plustek backend, remove?

Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 2200c, Epson 1250 (wip)
"Ludo Stellingwerff" <ludo@jonkers.nl>
http://www.xs4all.nl/~stwerff/
--> Same here?

Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C / 3400C and 4300C (wip)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hp3300backend
--> Already on TODO list for inclusion. Any plans to include it in
    SANE 1.0.10?

Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4470C based on RealTek RTS8891 (wip)
http://reapoff.sourceforge.net/hpscanner/
--> stand-alone program, any plans to make it a backend?

IBM 2456 and Ricoh IS-410 support (wip)
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/ibm-backend/
--> already ha a .desc file

Primax parallel port scanners (wip)
http://primax.sourceforge.net/
--> stand-alone program

Primax Jewel 4800 (aka Relisys AVEC II S3, model VM3564)
http://gkall.hobby.nl/notes2.html
--> Looks like it will be supported by teco2

Video for Linux 2 (wip)
http://sane-v4l2.inodes.org/
--> Anyone knows, if this is the version that will be used in Linux
    2.6? Peobably not?

Visioneer OneTouch 8600: viceo (wip)
http://www.littlecms.com/iphoto/otlinux.htm
--> Yet another viceo? What's the connection with the other viceo (I
    keep forgetting the details)? No .desc file.

SANE on non-Unix platforms:
----------------------------

BeOS port (wip)
http://www.intuiware.com/Products/BeSANE/index.html
--> Really work in progress or dead?

OS/2 support (wip)
http://home.tiscalinet.de/fbakan/sane-os2.htm

win32 port of SANE (planned)
Oliver Rauch <oliver.rauch@Wolfsburg.DE>
--> Still planned?

Misc:
-----

SaneTwain: TWAIN compliant datasource which is able to connect to a SANE
           scanner backend.
http://sanetwain.ozuzo.net/

WinSANE: Win32 TWAIN DLL to interface with scanners supported by SANE over the
         network. (old)
http://www.integramicro.com/winsane/
--> Link is ddead, remove?

TWAIN interface for xsane-win32 (planned)