[sane-devel] Scanner Basics

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:26:08 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 07:04:44AM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	The next step is to look for the scanner. In a Terminal window make
> it a super user with su- and provide your root password. Now type this:
>
> 		sane-find-scanner <Enter>
>
> It will either print out some words but have zero information, or it will
> find the scanner. The out put when a scanner is found looks like this:

If you just want the lines without all the comments, try
sane-find-scanner -q (at least when the SANE version is rather current).

> # You may want to run this program as super-user to find all devices.
> # Once you found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access
> # permissions as necessary.

So you tried it as user :-)

> sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x04b8, product = 0x010f) at device /dev/usb/scanner0

> 	Please notice that the last line that starts sane-find-scanner:
> lists all the data about your scanner so you KNOW Sane has found the scanner
> you want to use. Of course This is my scanner and it's plugged into the
> first USB port /dev/usb/scanner0

Just for information: /dev/usb/scanner0 needn't correspond to the
first USB port. It's just the first scanner found by the scanner module.

> 	Then I tried to remove the scanner module with "rmmod scanner" and
> discovered it was not even loaded!

That's not unusual. I just didn't want to confuse users even more with
"if you scanner module is laoded, ... otherwise ...".

> Before I did this sane-find-scanner found nothing. After it found my
> scanner. I will put this line into the /ect/rc.d/rc.local file so I don't
> have to type it in every time.
>
> 	So my new condition is this: My scanner still does not work, but now
> I know Sane does find my scanner, and now the question is why does it not
> work?

Probably the backend you need is not setup correctly. See the other
mails concerning your problem.