[sane-devel] XSane (and maybe other frontends) backend name detection problem

Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:41:19 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 06:18:33PM +0100, Michael Herder wrote:
> I actually tried merging all translation files of a given language to one .po
> file which I then transform to a .qm file (for QuiteInsane).
> Result:
> .po size: 45.5 kB
> .qm size: 3.4 kB (at least the resulting filesize isn't a problem)
> The only problem with this approach is, that the translation from one backend
> could be overwritten with the translation of another one.

Exactly. On the other hand, tanslations should be the same for every
backend.

> On the other hand, there are no problems with finding the correct translation
> file, and backends, which only use strings from saneopts.h get translated
> too.

SANE2 is planned to have it's own mechanism for provding the
translations (per backend). Maybe we should think about generating one
big translation file from all the backends. I'm not sure if there are
other disadvantages than mentioned above.

Currently the problem with having one single file per language (e.g.
sane.mo) is that you can't use the translations from external backends.

However, with SANE2, the frontends can get their translation files
from the backends, so it would be possible to use sane.mo for all the
internal backends and something else for the external ones.