[sane-devel] Scanner Basics

Philippe Berini philippe@berini.org
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 00:05:00 +0100

Le Sam 16 Novembre 2002 23:08, Henning Meier-Geinitz a écrit :

> > Eventually I noticed that with lsmod, the name of the module was
> > "scanner" and I added in /etc/modules.conf two lines instead of one:
> >
> > alias /dev/usb/scanner0 scanner
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think that will achieve anything. If you
> do "rmmod scanner", then run "scanimage -L", that really works?
> It doesn't work here.
>
> Usually, there are two approaches to load the scanner driver when
> booting:
>
> * Put "scanner" in /etc/modules (works on Debian and Mandrake)
> * Add "modprobe scanner" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local or similar (RedHat)

OK, that's right. I must admit I had not "scanner" in /etc/modules.
(But my method consisting in adding: "alias /dev/usb/scanner0 scanner"
in/etc/modules.conf was also working, even if it's strange).

So now I think I have a correct configuration:

in /etc/modules:
scanner

in /etc/modules.conf:
options scanner vendor=0x04a9 product=0x220d

in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf:
[usb] 0x04a9 0x220d
device /dev/usb/scanner0

and it works well....

(I also have a /usr/local/sane-backends-1.0.9/backend/plustek.conf file, which
I understood was not the one to use, but it does exist anyway, and where I
have:

[usb]
device /dev/usb/scanner0)

Don't know what's the use of this file, but after all, if the rest works, it
doesn't matter.)

Thanks a lot for all your explanations,

--
Philippe