[sane-devel] Scanner Basics

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:28:31 -0500

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

The man page will probably not help. It does not talk about the
format of the entry. Just open the file /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap.
You will see lots of entries, every record starts with the=20
driver name (e.g. scanner), followed a number of numeric values.
I only know what the vendor and product ID are, the others I
just copy from other entries. When you start with a scanner
entry and just replace the vendor and product ID with the data
for your scanner, it will work. That's all you need to know. That's
all I know.=20

Karl Heinz

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 07:22:01PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>=20
> Hi Karl, I will need to read a man page for hotplug. I really don't=20
> understand your example.
>=20
>=20
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
>=20
> > On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:55:41PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > [ ... ]
> > > Hi Karl, I find to get scanner into the kernel I must have something =
in=20
> > > /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, and that something can include the vendor an=
d=20
> > > product. If you can tell me how to load the scanner module alone some=
=20
> > > other way I'm listening. I could read=20
> > > /usr/src/linux/documentation/modules again but I'm tired of all that=
=20
> > > today...:-)
> >=20
> > Put a line like this into the file /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap. The second=
 numeric
> > argument is the vendor ID, the third is the product ID. The whole thing=
 is
> > one line. It's probably easier to just copy one line that starts with t=
he
> > driver name "scanner" and duplicate it, and then modify the vendor and
> > product IDs.=20
> > scanner              0x0003 0x04b8   0x010f    0x0000       0x0000     =
  0x00         0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00        =
    0x00            0x00000000
> >=20
> > Red Hat 8.0 does have hotplug support, as does SuSE 8.x. I would assume
> > that pretty much all modern Linux distributions also come with hotplug
> > enabled.
> >=20
> > Karl Heinz
> >=20
>=20
> --=20
>                      =20
>                - Karl Larsen k5di Las Cruces,NM Az ScQRPions -
>=20

--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net
PGP Key at                 http://www.khk.net/download/khk.asc