[sane-devel] Reality with Linux scanner setup

Karl F. Larsen k5di@zianet.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:15:09 -0700 (MST)

	When I just bought my Epson scanner with USB port, I set it up
on Windows. To do this it required that a cd-rom full of software
including drivers be loaded on my windows. It works fine on windows.

	While looking for a scanner in Las Cruces, NM USA, I hit Wal
Mart, Sam's, Best Buy, and Office Depot. I saw about 20 different models
of scanners. The only thing that was 100% the same was that ALL maybe 50
different scanners used a USB device.

	So I say we can write a general recipe that will make certain
that a scanner using the USB port is being seen by sane. This is more
than 50% of the way to a working Linux scanner. It's my guess that I
until yesterday failed to get sane to even see my scanner!

	The recipe I plan to write will use all the tricks I learned to
get a USB scanner to work. The primary help will come from
sane-find-scanner. I expect it's next to impossible to make this
software find parport devices. But if it did this would be very nice
indeed. But it seems all new scanners are USB.