[sane-devel] This is HOT (-plug related)

Sun, 17 Nov 2002 20:10:07 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 07:22:36PM +0100, Michael Herder wrote:
> over the last weeks, I've read a couple of times, that in order to get the
> scanner module loaded (hotplug), one should add an entry to
> /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap.
> However, on all systems I've tried this, I had to add an entry to
> /etc/hotplug/usb.handmap.
> Can someone please explain, where one has to add what, when and why?
> (or point me to the documentation which probably exists somewhere :-)

Copied from usb.agent (the file that actually is called on USB hotplug
events):

# generated by modutils, for current 2.4.x (and later) kernels
MAP_CURRENT=$MODULE_DIR/modules.usbmap

# used if MAP_CURRENT is missing; for 2.2.x kernels
MAP_DISTMAP=$HOTPLUG_DIR/usb.distmap

#
# used for kernel drivers that don't show up in CURRENT or DISTMAP,
# currently input drivers (joysticks, keyboards, etc).  newer systems
# should use input hotplug events instead.
#
MAP_HANDMAP=$HOTPLUG_DIR/usb.handmap

So I guess handmap is correct for kernel 2.4 (untested).