[sane-devel] Current TODO list

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:17:56 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:14:32PM -0500, Brendan Burns wrote:
> I'm the one who reported the problem of loading on MacOS X.  I think it
> is/was becuase I have the dlcompat libraries installed (to support other
> software) so if dl.h is present then the loading doesn't seem to work
> correctly unless .dylib is in the name of the library.  I'm not sure
> what sane tries to do when dl.h isn't there...

dll.c includes dl.h if it's found and if libdld is found and contains
the function shl_load(). This is used for HP/UX originally.

Where does the ".dylib" come from? Is this a MacOS thing? I mean, it
sound funny that installing a "dlcompat" package renders the library

Our configure script already knows about the dylib suffix (from
libtool.m4?) but I guess some code needs to be added to dll.c to be
able to load both .so and .dylib.

Maybe something like this:

#if defined(HAVE_DLOPEN)
# define PREFIX "libsane-"
# ifdef __hpux
#   define POSTFIX ".sl.%u"
# elif defined(IS_DARWIN) && defined(HAVE_DL_H)
#   define POSTFIX ".%u.dylib"
# else
#   define POSTFIX ".so.%u"
# endif

Now someone has to find out how to spell defined(IS_DARWIN) and if
this works for both the .so and .dylib cases.