[sane-devel] Help! - SANE broken on Debian sid

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:29:31 +0000

> Did a large dist-upgrade, now SANE is broken.

Although I agree with Olaf that a dist-upgrade on/to Debian's unstable
is for people who know how to fix things should they break, I think
the solution to this one might be very simple.

> But when I do 'scanimage -L', a line of rubbish gets printed out to my
> parallel port laser printer (!), then scanimage just hangs. Ditto for
> xcane and xscanimage.

This is probably because a parallel port backend in SANE is
enabled. Please try and disable all backends in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
(or whereever Debian puts the configuration files) that you don't
need. If your backend serves both parallel-port and USB scanners, you
should tell it in its own configuration file not to use the parallel
port.

> I suspect the problem is *not* with SANE, but not absolutely sure on
> this.

It probably is -- USB and the parallel port are so different that it's
really really hard to confuse them. I think SANE is trying to talk to
a parallel-port scanner and wait for a reply, which never comes --
from your laser printer!

> Much stuff on debian unstable is presently broken - developers are
> admitting that.

I know, MySQL is one of them, grrr.

  Andras

Major Andras