[sane-devel] how to run xsane as normal user?

Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:31:37 +0100

Hi,

please reply to the list, not to me.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:48:17AM +0100, Dani Escudero wrote:
> I think the problem are the perms of the /dev/usb/scanner0 file. I
> suppose there are not ready for a normal user
> If you use red hat go to the file /etc/security/console.perms
>
> there ther's a line called scanner. You will see 600 there. Change it to
> 666.

That may be correct for a USB scanner. However, he is using a parallel
port scanner. If the backend uses direct access to the port, it needs
to be root. That's why the saned approach is neccesary.