[sane-devel] Individual Resolution for X and Y

Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:56:28 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:44:53AM +0530, Sophis India wrote:
> We need to use different resolution for x and y for designing of textile
> designs, eg cloth constructed with 80 threads/inch in horizontal way (x) and
> 100 thereads/inch in vertcial way (y), so if I can specify the resolution=80
> for x and 100 per y then I can scan correct parameters, otherwise right now
> we are scanning in highre resolution and later we are resizing with GIMP, so
> please help us to create individual resolution for X and Y.

That's an interesting application.

However, you still haven't told us, which scanner or backend you are
using. Without this information, nobody is able to help you because
the options are dependant on the backend.

E.g. if you used the gt68xx backend, I could try to change it to
support different resolutions.

By the way: Not all scanners provide the option to set X/Y-resolution
independly. And even if they can do splitted resolution, the hardware
resolution is often set up in steps, e.g. 50, 100, 150 dpi etc. So a
slightly lower dpi won't be faster. So even if the backend provides this
option, the scaling may be done in software.

Maybe it's easier for you to use a filter like ImageMagick's convert
so you only need to set up a shell script once instead of manually
setting up with Gimp every time.