[sane-devel] scanner noise

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 17:40:33 +0100

Hi,

>I know ive read if the scanner is gone through the whole scan and makes
>a weird noise at the end like its still going to turn it off immediately
>which i did.
>
>i am using canoscan n650u usb scanner, and first im using a C script
>found off http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compdet.php?id=3D10346

this skript isn't bad at all...

>and it scans better than using the xsane stuff which wont even preview
>scan at all. anywho it does go to the end and makes the weird noise like
>it still wants to keep scanning but doesnt.

check out SANE-1.0.9 and update it with the latest test-version:=20
plustek-sane-0.45-TEST3 from www.gjaeger.de

>another thing im a little confused on what the scanner can actually do
>in linux as for say 8 bit color only? or is that all color and 8-bit
>grey only?=20

This is just a start, the ADC inside the scanner has a resolution of 16bi=
t,
which means at least 16bit grey or 48bit for color as a maximum.
The 8 bit modes are only working for now using SANE-1.0.9...

>and uhm, in you guys experience should i install windows just for this
>scanner or is there some enhancements being made to make this scanner
>work?

Not needed so far only a little patience - or as said before, try 0.45TES=
T3...
I'm currently working on these problems...

Gerhard