[sane-devel] Upgrading sane-backend on Mandrake 10.0

Lloyd Sumpter lsumpter@dccnet.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:03:23 -0800

Hi,

    Thanks to the great information on this forum, I've discovered that
I need to upgrade my sane-backend in my Mandrake 10.0 system.

<RANT MODE ON>
This is what bugs me about Linux packages! In order to upgrade one
simple program, you end up upgrading your entire OS!!

What the H*LL does sane-backends have to do with harddrake, anyway?
<RANT MODE OFF>

Thanks, I feel better now...

So, apparently libsane1-1.0.13 is required by kdegraphics, and
sane-backends-1.0.13 is required by harddrake. I looked at kdegraphics
and decide I don't need it, so erase it. Then I go ahead and upgrade to
libsane1-1.0.14-3mdk and sane-backends-1.0.14-3mdk.

Next thing I know, my CPU meter is pinned and performance is fast
disappearing. I manage to reboot before it goes away altogether. Next
boot, same thing starts, but I manage to find out it's "scannerdrake",
along with sane-find-scanner and several usb utilities (*I* didn't run
these programs!) are using all the resources. I manage to erase the
sane-backends, which stops the bleeding. I re-install 1.0.13 and all is
well again.

No man pages for harddrake or scannerdrake.

So...How do I upgrade sane-backends on Mandrake 10.0 without sending
harddrake (I assume that's what's launching scannerdrake?) into a
tailspin? Also, what is "libsane"? It seems to be required in Mandrake,
but I don't see it in the source code packages - is it normally just
included in the sane-backend package?

BTW: The reason I have to upgrade is that apparently the sane-backends
included with Mandrake 10.0 do NOT support libusb (but since the kernel
is 2.6.x, there's no scanner.o to use instead...)

Lloyd Sumpter