[sane-devel] Acer 620ST

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Tue Nov 5 18:24:49 GMT 2002

Hi,

> I have got a scanner called Acer 620 ST.
> It's running properly using the snapscan-backend.
> sgcheck shows something like:  FlatbedScanner17
>
> My question is:
> Why the xsane, saintwain or xscanimage frontends "just" provide the
> maximum scanning resolution of 600 dpi, though the scanner itself
> is capable to scan at 1200dpi (unfortunally only under Windows,
> yet)? Is there a way to include that resolution as well?

The scanner has a resolution of 600x1200 dpi, i.e. the optical
resolution is 600 dpi whereas the stepper motor that moves the tray
has a resolution of 1200 dpi.

The backend is currently limited to the optical resolution of the
scanner. All higher resolution require an interpolation algorithm in
the backend, and I never got around to implement a decent one. It's
on my list though, but with very low priority.

You also have to consider that the "real" resolution of the scanner is
probably less than the mechanical resolution anyway. There was a test
once in c't (german computer magazine) where they measured the real
resolution of scanners. Most scanners have difficulties in reaching
even 600 dpi, due to limitation of the optics involved.

Regards,

Oliver