[sane-devel] Canon-SCSI backend

Ulrich Deiters ukd at xenon.pc.Uni-Koeln.DE
Wed Nov 13 08:12:01 GMT 2002

I remember very well the troubles I had with my FS2710S when I tried to
upload gamma tables! The effects on the scans were very interesting from
the artist's point of view - a *very* modern artist, in fact. :-)

Now that I know the gamma table format the scanner recognizes I will try to
play again with this feature, but I have some doubts about the success:
Canon apparently does not use the gamma tables; furthermore, the
standard controls of SCSI scanners like contrast or brightness are
not responding at all. I agree that it would be better to handle
such things within the scanner. But, according to Canon, we are not
supposed to run the scanner without their software, and for them
it may make sense to keep the scanner as simple as possible, while
handling all the finer details of scanning by the computer.

Best regards,

Ulrich Deiters