[sane-devel] please help

Ryan ryan at stillnet.org
Fri Nov 15 01:13:58 GMT 2002

I'm about ready to give up.  I don't know what to try next, any help is
appriciated.

I had xsane/sane working.  I think the last time I used it was before I
updated to RH8 from 7.3.

I still works on my PC, but I can't get it to work on my second one using
sane's network capability.  But this was all working last time I tried it.
At first when I fired up xsane on the second PC all I got was something like
'no devices found'.  After I set /usr/sbin/saned to SUID root I was able to
get past that.   But now every time I hit preview or scan on the second PC I
get this error: "Failed to start scanner: Invalid argument".

If I run scanimage I get: "scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument".

I've got the second PC's IP address in my /etc/sane.d/saned.conf file.  I have
the hostname for my machine in the second machine's net.conf file.  I have my
xinet setup also.  My scanner is an Epson Perfection 610, connected to my USB
port.

Any ideas?

I've searched for these error messages but haven't been able to come up with
anything.

I don't know how much traffic this list gets, but please CC me if you reply to
the list so I don't miss it.  Thanks,

-Ryan