[sane-devel] where to put firmware files?

Matto Marjanovic maddog@mir.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:52:41 -0400

 >> Currently I'm using /usr/local/lib/sane as the default directory for
 >> these files as they are binary objects. But as they are
 >> platform-independent, shouldn't be the default path for such files
 >> SANE_DATA_DIR "/sane" (by default "/usr/local/share/sane")?
 >
 >I think both places are ok but I would prefer /usr/local/share/sane.
 >
 >I suggest to create a subdirectory "firmware":
 >/usr/local/share/sane/firmware

How about a backend-specific subdirectory, e.g.

   /usr/local/share/sane/umax/

This will avoid potential name-clashes for the firmware files (or any other
 backend-specific files).  What is the chance that two different backends
 will use identical firmware files?

-matt m.