[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1660 photo -> Driver(s)

khk@khk.net khk@khk.net
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 07:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

> Hi,
>
> [CCed to sane-devel]
>
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 11:55:56AM +1200, John Williams wrote:
>> I can now get this scanner to function by becoming Root, changing to
>> /sbin  and running "modprobe scanner vendor=0x048b product=0x011e".
>> Then the error message does not appear, the scanner scans documents
>> and  pictures very well indeed but transparencies do not have the
>> correct colours  (muddy greens mostly yet. I'm sure there is something
>> there I have not  learned. One step at a time is OK!

When you say "transparencies", do you mean slides or negatives? For
negatives you have to do some color tweaking. Xsane can help you with
this. I have some instructions on my web site (http://www.khk.net/sane)
about how this is done manually with Gimp.

If you are however talking about slides, then I don't know what's
wrong. My experience with EPSON TPUs so far is pretty good. Can  you post
some images somewhere so that I can take a look?

> That's something the Epson experts may be able to answer.
>
>> I wish I could set the "modprobe" line somewhere so I do not have to
>> do this  every time I need to scan something.
>> I appreciate your help, thanks. John.
>
> That's a bit depending on your distribution. You can put "options
> scanner vendor=0x048b product=0x011e" in /etc/modules.conf to avoid
> entering the option numbers every time. For autoloading the driver, you
> can put "scanner" in /etc/modules (Debian) or "modprobe scanner" in a
> start-up file like boot.local in /etc/init.d. If you use hotplug
> utilities you will need to add the vendor and device ids to its list so
> the scanner module is loaded automatically. But I don't know
> details about this way.

Which distribution are you running?

Karl Heinz