[sane-devel] Permission denied on parallel port Epson Expression636

Petr Hlustik phlustik@uchicago.edu
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:53:31 -0500

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 02:29:04PM -0400, khk@khk.net wrote:
> This is a limitation all parallel port scanners have when used with Sane.
> You already know the reason for this: Sane uses the IO ports and not
> the device file to talk to the scanner.
>
> As long as you trust everybody who's using your computer, you can just
> make the frontend(s) you are using setuid root programs. This way, the
> program will always run as root, regardless of which user is actually
> running it.

I did not realize but, actually, I cannot run xsane setuid root:

Gtk-WARNING **: This process is currently running setuid or setgid.
This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper
program instead. For further details, see:

    http://www.gtk.org/setuid.html

Refusing to initialize GTK+.

I guess I'm back to either scanimage or su to root, with no Gimp
integration. Sigh.

Best,
Petr